276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Checkmate (Noughts And Crosses)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Growing up dual heritage in a world where bitter prejudice divides Noughts and Crosses has meant she's an outsider wherever she turns. Jude, Callum’s brother and Callie Rose’s uncle, was even less sympathetic as a character in this one than in Knife Edge, the second in the series. You really got to see how life had turned him into someone cruel, cold and calculating. He had risen to power in the Liberation Militia, but had never truly learned to love or to find the hope bad light in life. These facts are the only things that are mine and real. So I don’t mind so much that I’m leaving it all behind. There’s nothing here worth holding onto. Enter Jude McGregor. Jude teaches Callie about her real family history, and the more she learns the more he persuades her where her loyalties really lie.

But remember this if nothing else: I love you more than there are words or stars. I love you more than there are thoughts and feelings. I love you more than there are seconds or moments gone or to come. I love you.” I love the characterisation of Jasmine and how we get to see her side in this book and I also like the progression we see of Callie Rose. Okay so I'm quite confused with that ending; are Jude & Jasmine dead? Did she set the bomb off? I don't know. There's another book and the blurb for that book also confuses me (I highly recommend not reading the blurb for 'Doublecross'). And another groundbreaking children's novelist R.J Palacio, author of Wonder, shares her own childhood favourite in The Book I'd Never Lend. There were multiple love triangles in this book for NO REASON. Why is romance just shoved into a story pointlessly? Honestly this series had such potential to be a groundbreaking dystopian masterpiece in the analysis of power play and race in society, and the first book made a good attempt, and from here it’s just unreadable. It just felt like a weird contemporary read with a random suicide-bomber and cancer storyline thrown in for shcok-value. It all felt so cheap and I literally felt nothing for any of these characters.Most of Meggie's actions and such in this book just spelt desperation to me. Meggie obviously has lost most of her family members and was holding onto Callie & Sephy by a thread.

Complex but beautifully crafted ... dramatic, intensely moving ... it truly ensnares the reader Carousel At last the book to tie up the loose ends of the Noughts and Crosses sequence and it certainly doesn’t disappoint in anyway. The originality of the plot is breathtaking and the characters superbly drawn. You’ll be gripped to the last. CALLUM'S REAL LETTER WAS THE CUTEST THING! I knew for obvious reasons that the content of the first one was lies. I grew so attached to Callum's character in the first book just to have him ripped out from under us but when his real letter was revealed, to see it written under Callum's perspective as a header, two books later following his death was so hearbreaking but beautiful at the same time! All the feels. The dialogue tended towards sappy a lot of the time. In real life people simply don't sit around philosophising and having long conversations where they manage to say NOTHING AT ALL in several hours. The bits with Sephy and Callie in the cellar were so drawn out. Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2020-01-02 04:57:04 Boxid IA1756914 Camera Sony Alpha-A6300 (Control) Collection_set printdisabled External-identifierIt is hard to think of a simpler or more brilliant premise to explain racism to children than Noughts & Crosses, or a more affecting story for those experiencing it. The first book made the BBC’s Big Read poll of the UK’s all-time favourite books, and was later named one of the best books of the 21st century by this paper. It has become a play and, recently, a BBC TV series (with a cameo from uberfan Stormzy). Sephy Hadley was one of the guests that night. Haunted by the idea that she didn't do enough to stop the death of her first love, Callum McGregor, Sephy will not sit quietly and wait for accusations to fall on her now. She has her children to protect. To be perfectly honest, this book did not have as much of an effect on me as the previous two books in the series, Noughts & Crosses and Knife Edge, Apart from the ending that is, which is quite literally explosive and incredibly tense, paving the way for a potentially devastating final book in the series. I loved Callie Rose as a character and could see a lot of her mother in her young self but found myself becoming quite frustrated with Sephy at times as her wariness around her daughter was truly heart-breaking to read. I loved the way that this novel was told from the perspective of multiple characters once again, this is one of my favourite ways to read as I feel it gives you a much deeper insight into the mind of certain characters, especially ones where you can't quite accept their motives. Say no more....apart from please start this series if you haven't already and let me know what you think! In 2008 Malorie received an OBE for her services to children's literature, and between 2013 and 2015 she was the Children's Laureate. Most recently, Malorie wrote for the Doctor Who series on BBC One, and the fifth novel in her Noughts & Crosses series, Crossfire, is published by Penguin Random House Children's.

The General turned to look at the man who'd just spoken – Jonathan Kidd, the regional commander of the South-West. Jonathan, more than any other person at the table, loved to ask questions. Inappropriate questions. Why was that? Why more questions from him than all the others put together? Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR) Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.11 Ocr_module_version 0.0.14 Old_pallet IA17334 Openlibrary_edition I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, it’s so hard to review books in a series. I’m not one for spoilers, so I try to really make it obvious if there’s going to be a spoiler. The trouble with this series is that it’s so damn good I want to speak about it, but I would HATE to spoil it for others. So, as per usual with this series, I’m going to be wonderfully vague. (I apologise!) Wow. This book was mind blowing! So many twists and turns and I cannot wait to start reading the final book of this amazing series 😍Although I don't think Jude's actions are justified as there is nothing in the world that justifies terrorism, I find it really unfortunate that he ended up in his current position due to such strong injustices in his from such a young age. His whole hatred towards the way things were stemmed from him not being able to continue getting his education after getting a glimpse of it and loving it more than anything while he had it. It's like if you deny a human his basic human rights, how can you expect him to have any humanity left? It makes sense now as well of the little bits of Jude's resentment towards Callum in the first book for taking school for granted. I really wished Jude would be redeemed in some tiny form at least... I suppose he was slightly in the sense that he finally realised that Cara Imega was his ultimate love, despite being a cross. He realised that he could and in fact did love a cross for who she was and her being a cross didn't contribute to her personally. It's what's inside that matters as some clever person once said. Or if we can’t blame the main opposition, find a new scapegoat – a section of society with no power, no voice. Blame the travellers or the noughts or the immigrants. Cheap, gutter politics to appeal to the lowest common denominator.” Exhibit B - Putting speech in capital letters is cheating. It's text speak. There's a reason adverbs were invented. Exhibit C - If you're going to write a book in first person jumping around characters, they need to have an individual voice. They all sound so logical and perfect, especially Sephy's 'mother' voice. She sounds like a generic maternal character who would get about 5 speech lines in a book; she's meant to be the main character.

This series is drastically deteriorating. It's not that the story is that bad - on the contrary the story and the layout of jumping through the timeline kept me intrigued - but that I really did not like the writing. Of course, General,' said Jonathan, not once averting his eyes. 'I want you to know that you can count on me and all I have in any venture you propose.'I loved this book, it was brilliant! The third book in the Noughts and Crosses quartet definitely lived up to the first two books and in some ways surpassed them. The ‘Noughts & Crosses’ series provides us with an explicit flip and twist on both the history and current political and cultural demographic of British society – where racial politics is turned on its head and power structures are completely reversed. In the world of Noughts & Crosses, racism is not ‘fixed’ – it is simply inverted. Photograph: Ilze Kitshoff/BBC/Mammoth Screen

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment