276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tyentso chanted something long and unpronounceable, but I felt my mind shift as she cast her spell, felt what she did. It was more effective magic lesson in under two seconds than I'd ever had before in my life." [72] Kihrin heads immediately to the Thriss village and attempts to communicated with Szzarus to find a harp, but Szzarus is not able to understand and only offers other instruments and foreign instruments. Teraeth interrupts them, asking Kihrin what he's looking for and stating he's trying to help, sending Szzarus away. Jenn Lyons begins the Chorus of Dragons series with The Ruin of Kings , an epic fantasy novel about a man who discovers his fate is tied to the future of an empire. Oh those?' Teraeth looked over the side of the ship with a bored expression. 'Nothing but several dozen sixty-foot-long limbless blue elephants going for a swim. Pay them no mind.'

Kihrin is a bastard orphan who grew up on storybook tales of long-lost princes and grand quests. When he is claimed against his will as the long-lost son of a treasonous prince, Kihrin finds that being a long-lost prince isn't what the storybooks promised. The Ruin of Kings is an exciting new novel, and not just because of the compelling characters, the clever story structure, or the originality that Jenn Lyons brings to speculative fiction. The Ruin of Kings is an exciting new novel because it hits all of the right marks from being intelligently complex to being quite funny as well as being well written. While it never feels rushed, the story also doesn’t grow dust lingering in one place too long. Each chapter does exactly what it’s meant to do, building up to the point when all hell breaks loose and you literally have no idea who is going to live, who is going to die, and who is actually going to stay dead. Kihrin knew many, if not most, of the guilds ultimately took their cues from a Royal House, but he'd never learned which ones.... Feodor Chin reads Thurvishar D’Lorus’ tale. I hadn’t expected to like the inclusion of Thurvishar’s tale as much as I did because I don’t really like multiple narrators. However, after a little while, I couldn’t imagine the story being told without his steady voice as a buffer between Talon’s and Kihrin’s tales. Plus, Vikas Adam was a brilliant choice for this part as his voice and interpretations played well between Soneela’s and Feodor’s readings.

What Curators Say

Kihrin stared at her in disbelief. "I just want you to know this has been a really bad day." He tossed the crossbow aside as he readied the mace. We hold no fear of Death because we know her caress. Freed from that fear, we find joy in life and all it holds. ' No, my body may not have been worth much, but in Kishna-Farriga the going price for a man’s soul is ten thousand ords. The D'Mon's Blue Palace was highly decorated, showing off to all the other houses, as Kihrin stands in the greeting line. He then nearly chokes when he sees a girl dressed as a dragon with red eyes (believing it to be the girl from his vision from Xaltorath), and asks who she is. She teases him, and Kihrin realizes it is not her (it is Sheloran D'Talus), and Galen informs him she is the youngest daughter of High Lord Kallin D'Talus. The pair are interrupted when Therin tells Kihrin it is time for his performance. As everyone watched, Kihrin plays beautifully, so much so, even the Revelers applaud in admittance of skill. Afterwards he is greeted by Lady Miya, who says that though he left, Therin enjoyed the performance, and compliments the High General for the gift. The Voice Caerowan joins them and questions its history of the harp, then brings up Kihrin's hawk costume, tying it to the Hellwarrior prophecies. The High General and Lady Miya both dismiss the prophecies, but Caerowan persists bringing up several connections before Lady Miya's annoyance ends the encounter. Far from living the dream, Kihrin finds himself practically a prisoner, at the mercy of his new family's power plays and ambitions. He also discovers that the storybooks have lied about a lot of other things too: dragons, demons, gods, prophecies, true love, and how the hero always wins.

Members of the royal family are abusive and manipulative as they lie and kill to get their way. Nevertheless, Kihrin endures the tribulations and occasionally brawls his way out of trouble. The youngster transitions from the life of a juvenile thief to a member of the royal family and a slave in a riveting tale of mixed fortunes. He encounters countless challenges, dragons, heartbreak, gods, and demons. Kihrin grew up in the slums of Quur, a thief and a minstrel's son raised on tales of long-lost princes and magnificent quests. When he is claimed against his will as the missing son of a treasonous prince, Kihrin finds himself at the mercy of his new family's ruthless power plays and political ambitions. Annapurna Television has optioned “The Ruin of Kings” with the potential development of a TV fantasy series in recognition of the author’s talent. This proposal bears testimony to Jenn Lyons’ creative abilities considering that the epic fantasy is her first book. “The Ruin of Kings” is part of a five-book series known as “A Chorus of Dragons.”The book then cuts between Kihrin and on going events with others. The others face their own challenges: Teraeth realizes too late Gadrith is using Gates and Tyentso arrives at the Blue Palace to run into Talon, who then fights Teraeth with Teraeth seeming to have stopped her with a stake. Tyentso and Teraeth find the D'Mon's who catch up before finding Kihrin dead. They take Kihrin to the Cathedral of Thaena in hopes Kihrin will be returned. Meanwhile Gadrith has Sandus kill him, switching their souls and Qoran meets up with the others as he comes to ask for Jarith to be Returned. Tyentso, tired of waiting and hearing the news of Gadrith, goes to kill him herself.) That said, the plot between all sections is seamless and brilliantly put together. Every time I thought I saw a plot hole, it was neatly filled with information I hadn't even realized was relevant.

Likely several days later the D'Mon family sits down for their family dinner in the formal dining room, where everyone (hundreds of those related to the D'Mon name) eat a several course long meal. Kihrin sits at the head table with the immediate family as Tishar D'Mon questions him on his musical talent, which he downplays (but not before Alshena D'Mon suggests Kihrin did more in Velvet Town, causing her to get teased by Bavrin D'Mon). Tishar then asks if Kihrin will play at the New Years Festival masquerade, which Darzin attempts to deny before Therin asserts that Kihrin will indeed play as High General Qoran plans to attend the ball. Tishar teases Kihrin that it will gain him favor with many noble daughters, and Darzin snaps at her to give it a rest and let people first forget Kihrin's mother was a common whore, which Kihrin corrects as being a slut, before deducing she was in fact a whore. I highly recommend this audiobook. You’re going to love it. Jenn Lyons wrote a great novel and the narrators do a fantastic job bringing the story to life. Later, after a wild night of drinking but with everyone waking up in their own cloths, Kihrin remembers Gadrith while with Teraeth, Tyentso, and Doc. As Doc brings in breakfast and the group begin to eat, they discuss Gadrith and Kihrin remembers the night before, especially Teraeth discussing the brilliance of Emperor Kandor's military strategy in Jorat. Kihrin was hardly in the mood for flirting, but he couldn't let the line pass without comment. 'Careful there. I might enjoy that.'" [18] Soneela Nankani (a personal favorite of mine) reads Talon’s story, which covers Kihrin’s life up to the point of his kidnapping. Her tone of voice, the way she plays with words, and the choices she makes for character dialog are all done very well. She lightens the mood quite a lot, which is impressive since Talon is not a terribly nice or kind person. The combination of her vocal choices and her character’s personality work quite well together.TL/DR version is, think The Wheel of Time meets The Stormlight Archive meets A Song of Ice and Fire. With demons, but without all the boring parts. And with only a single protagonist.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment