276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Siege

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

THE SIEGE is the story of a hostage situation in south London. When Lee James Connor, a loner, inspired by an anti-immigrant, firebrand right-wing extremest leader, takes a community church centre and its nine attendees hostage, we see the events of an entire night play out through the viewpoints of Connor, Grace, one of his hostages, and Alex, the lead hostage negotiator assigned to the incident. Each of the characters is introduced, and their individual stories are expanded on throughout the book. As a reader, it is great to see into the minds and lives of people in situations and also into their beliefs. This does have race and immigration at its core, but there is something that is much deeper to this story. It is a story of manipulation and of false or fake news, and how easy it is for people to believe in unsubstantiated facts. John Sutherland spent 25 years in the Metropolitan Police, spending some of that time working as a hostage negotiator. He rose to Chief Superintendent before retiring in 2018, after which he wrote his best-selling memoir ‘Blue’. ‘The Siege’ is Sutherland’s debut novel and he’s poured all of his experience into the story, showcasing an engaging and gripping ability to keep the tension high while pushing the story forward. Plot wise, ‘The Siege’ is fairly simple; a white extremist crashes an immigration support group meeting in a church hall and threatens to kill them all unless the leader of the right-wing extremist group Home Front, Nicholas Farmer, is released from prison. I was initially sceptical as to how a book could be written solely about a siege but for the most part, it delivers.

The Siege by John Sutherland | Waterstones

John Sutherland, the best selling author of Blue and Crossing The Line, makes his fictional debut with The Siege. Amongst those held hostage is Grace who somehow manages to talk to Connor although she is incredibly careful not to provoke him or get a reaction from him she somehow manages to connect with him and through their connection we learn what has driven Lee Connor to become the man he is today. In Lee Grace sees a lonely man who has lost his way and Grace knows how it feels to be alone having lost her husband many years ago. It is an interesting novel, fast-paced with short chapters that make you want to read on and find out what happens. The characters are believable and I especially loved Grace, she is absolutely amazing. It’s written in real time, so holds your interest as you are following the events “as they happen” which makes you invested in it all. A bold novel, particularly in its ending; this is a book which dares to reject not only cynicism but also despair.” (Mat Coward, Morning Star)

Summary

History Makers: Female Writers Dominate the 2023 William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award Shortlist

The Siege by John Sutherland | Goodreads The Siege by John Sutherland | Goodreads

Wow what a book!!!!! So far I’d say this is without question my book of the year so far. I loved the originality of this thriller it was so different to any other I’ve read and trust me I’ve read hundreds.

I thought it was interesting to see things from the point of view of the hostage taker, and although it naturally didn't excuse his actions, we did understand them a little more. Sutherland has] poured all of his experience into the story, showcasing an engaging and gripping ability to keep the tension high while pushing the story forward.” (Entertainment Focus)

The Siege – John Sutherland - policecommander

The Revd Richard Lamey is the Rector of St Paul’s, Wokingham, and Area Dean of Sonning, in the diocese of Oxford. I really enjoyed it. The writing style was easy and kept a steady pace with alternating which character was the focus at any point.Interestingly the whole novel is kept low key but remarkably intense from the dialogue to the action. Everything in the police operation feels thought through and very well planned (reassuringly!). But what no-one can take into account are the unpredictable elements. The impact of the heavy duty cannabis combined with the mental strain on Connors as he negotiates his demands with the police. Then there is the bravery and sheer humanity of Grace, who sees a young man in pain and connects with him in that level.

The Siege: The fast-paced thriller from a former Met Police The Siege: The fast-paced thriller from a former Met Police

Lee Connor is the right-wing extremist who wants to make Britain great again. He takes an immigrant support group hostage in a believable church hall.I bought this when I was up in the Lake District for a couple of days and foolishly hadn't taken a book with me..... (I won't let it happen again!) Learning that the author is a serving police officer and hostage negotiator explains why this story is so engaging and believable. The story of a young far right wing extremist who takes a church group that welcome refugees hostage, demanding the release from prison of the leader of a far right wing group(with hopefully intentionally funny initials!). Also, I know adrenaline is a factor, but the middle of a hostage negotiation seemed like a weird time for Alex to realise he was attracted to another memeber of the team!? This is a tight and tense novel concentrating on the psychological effects of close confinement in a hostage situation on the hostages, the hostage taker and those in law enforcement who battle to contain the situation and resolve it. As a police procedural it is convincingly put together, as one would expect from an author writing from experience.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment