276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear, 6th Edition

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Trousers are next on the list and this section is much the same as the skirt section but with trousers as our focus!

New for this edition is the inclusion of colour to help students recognize the different sections of the book and to enhance the garment illustrations? Metric Pattern Cutting for Women′s Wear was first published in 1975 to provide a straightforward introductory book for students beginning courses in flat pattern cutting. Or, you can apply your very own measurements if they don't correspond to the standard sizes as illustrated. Il libro è in inglese ma è scorrevole e molto ben comprensibile una volta imparati i vocaboli tecnici di base. It's set out clearly and simply but professionally and has a big range of form and flat blocks for a huge range of patterns plus adaptions and it's right up to date.You do need some experience of garment construction to use this book as there are no instructions on how to make up the garment, or else you need someone who is familiar with pattern drafting and construction as a "phone a friend". As before we start with some blocks (mostly T-shirts) and move into adaptations like tracksuits, dresses and hoods. As well as using this book to design sewing patterns, I have also found it helpful over the years for design inspiration as well as for help drawing fashion flats; drawings that show exactly how a garment should look to someone making the garment. So there you have it, my little (or not so little) review of Metric Pattern Cutting by Winifred Aldrich.

Discover the joy of reading with us, your trusted source for affordable books that do not compromise on quality. I'm currently doing some courses in simple pattern cutting and my tutor uses this book, though she does suggest trying blocks from different books as they do vary and it's important to find a block that suits your own figure if you're using it for personal garment construction. Metric Pattern Cutting for Women s Wear , first published in 1975, provides a straightforward introductory book for students beginning courses in flat pattern cutting. The book then progresses through any type of outfit you could imagine right through to the final details you may want to use in your designs.The reason that Metric Pattern Cutting is so great is that it covers BOTH of these key skills and waaay more! There are bodice blocks, trouser blocks, skirt and dress blocks as well as flat blocks (one that use no shaping with darts.

They snip a 'U' shape in the paper meaning it doesn't rip as easily as notching by hand creating 'V' shapes. I am a novice sewer but was very eager to understand the cutting process and the magic of transforming 2D into 3D.To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. If you use a normal pencil then the lead will get thicker and thicker meaning you add the odd millimetre here and there to your patterns. My other criticism here is that the bodice block is drafted without any waist shaping, this is added as an option at the end of the section and isn’t done in the clearest of ways. Fully revised and updated to include a brand new and improved layout, up-to-date skirt and trouser blocks that reflect the changes in body sizing, along with updates to the computer-aided design section and certain blocks, illustrations and diagrams. It shows how the basic block is adapted to make the whole range of garments, demonstrating how clothes are put together.

However, the great expansion of casual wear, cut in jersey or stretch fabrics, has led to the growth of ′flat cutting′ with no darting to create the shape and this edition devotes a whole section to this type of cutting. I've also found it's super helpful to mark on your waist, hip, knee and elbow lines on each piece as these will come in handy if you're adjusting the fit later on; this means making sure you mark them on your block patterns too. All the info you need for drafting patterns from measurements with many, many style options for each basic block - extremely clear diagrams with written details. It doesn't cover draping or more complicated cutting but ultimately that's something you learn over time anyway. They're such a time and money saver in the long run, especially if you're about to make something in a very expensive fabric or you think you'll make the pattern again and again.It is a little technical - but if you start right at the beginning and take your time - it makes you really understand the craft of pattern drafting and using a basic block to tailor to individual sizes and allow for 'problem areas' - e.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment