276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SATA3.0 1 to 5 Hub Ports SATA Port Splitter Swith Multiplier Card Motherboard 6Gbps Riser Card SATA 3.0 Expansion Card Support PM JMICRON JMB575

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Like other SATA features, like hot-swappable, support has to be supported by the SATA controller in addition to the device itself. PCIe SATA expansion cards have their own SATA controller and are not limited by the SATA controller on the motherboard itself. My point is not that copper network needs more power than the SFP+. The point is that the heatsink of the copper card is comparable in size with the switch card heatsink. Therefore I assumed that the power consumption of the switch chip will be comparable is heatsink is sized properly. This is another method of increasing the SATA port on our motherboard, and these cards offer excellent upstream & downstream bandwidth.

Some (other) mbrds offer an x4 slot; a tad longer than x1. An x4 slot can handle 8 additional drives, using a HBA-type pci-E card. Command-based switching, conceptually similar to a mechanical A/B switch, limits the host to issue commands to only one drive at a time. Commands to other drives will not be issued until the command queue is completed for the prior transaction. Since command-based switching only accesses one drive at a time, it does not take advantage of the potentially higher speed host link. Therefore, command-based switching is ideal for simple drive expansion where capacity is more important than performance. The SAS SATA expansion cards are top-of-the-line. They are utilized by professionals and offer excellent downstream and upstream bandwidth. Also, many of them tend to come with a hardware RAID controller. You’re likely to find them being used by professionals and enterprises. without switch vs. 23,7W with the switch and the same network card and an additional nvme express SSD drive which is not even mounted and completely cold on heatsink. If I measure temperature at the heatsink of the switch card is around 60°C (this is comparable to the copper network card). Based on that measurement the switch cosumes way more power than a H2+ with port multiplier. Unfortunately this is no efficient alternative for me. In the last year or two, we've had a resurgence of users asking about SATA Port Multipliers and cheap SATA controllers.FIS–based switching offers high performance storage connections to multiple drives simultaneously. The host issues and completes commands to drives at any time. The port multiplier will direct data to any drive ready for I/O. An arbitration algorithm ensures a balanced data flow. Unlike Command-based switching, FIS-based switching allows aggregation of reads to fully use the potentially higher bandwidth of the host link and takes full advantage of the performance benefits of Native Command Queuing (NCQ) on the port multiplier, resulting in aggregated throughput of up to the total bandwidth of the host band link. It all depends on your preference and wallet. Here are the different methods you can use to add additional SATA ports to your PC: Adding more SATA ports on the motherboard is not difficult; you can do it yourself in a couple of ways. SATA PCIe Cards Does hot-plug really has the potential to kill some hardware. Since sata is by its standards hot-plug capable, wonder if the internal sata controller has not properly implemented it. If you would have an external multi bay enclosure, whit a JMicron chip and connect it to the sata ports, you would always have to power it on first and off last to not hot plug it. As far as i know the JMB585 ist a true PCIgen3x2 Controller with 5x individual SATA ports which in turn support SATA port miltipliers as the 575 again supporting up to 25 ports in total.

One solution to this, would be to use a Sata Host Bus Adapter, which will expand your possible number of drives. There are many types of these, ranging from 2 ports upwards 16 on a single 8 lane card. What you're describing sounds most like a port multiplier ( here and here). The devices I see aren't y-cables but cards as shown below. Make sure your host controller supports this! You can expect speeds of about 250 MB/sec for a single multiplier [FAQ]. I think you can daisy chain them and obviously that will be slower. IR mode basically means that the card has a firmware that employ RAID functionality on-card. This is risky since swapping out the raid card if it breaks, is far from a trivial task. I have an 8 bay thunderbolt 3 enclosure attached which exposes 2 JMB585 based controllers which host 4x WD RED 2TB disks each. However, if you doesnt want to open your PC, then you can use external drives by using SATA to USB adapter cables. Wrapping UpYou are talking about SATA port multipliers and i understand the problems that come with them. For one, none of the intel Chipsets i know are even verified for use with said port multipliers, so most problems will have to do with that.

Jan 31 17:15:35 nightowl kernel: [ 222.067002] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Preferred minimum I/O size 4096 bytes xNoctua NF-F12 PPC 3000 PWM (120mm) * having noted later in Stux's thread that 1500 RPM is not sufficient to cool the HDDs. Corsair Commander Pro to control the fans (see script and code) Part of knowing how to add more SATA ports to the motherboard is understanding how the SATA expansion cards work. There are a few essential pointers when looking for the right SATA expansion card. The PCH SATA controller does not support Port Multipliers. BIOS must clear this bit by writing a 0 to this field.

Hear me out -- A Wearable Stereo - oladance OWS Pro

You should also consider the size as well as the PCIe version of the card to make sure you’ll get a decent amount of bandwidth provided to each slot. Here are more details on why you should consider both factors: A Serial ATA port multiplier is a unilateral splitting device. While it allows one equipped port to connect up to 15 disks, the bandwidth available is limited to the bandwidth of the link to the controller, as of 2012 [update] 1.5, 3, or 6Gbit/s. [3] While the controller is aware that there are multiple drives connected, the service is transparent to the disks attached. Because they believe they are communicating directly with the controller, any drive that holds to the SATA standard can be connected to a port multiplier. There are two ways port multipliers can be driven: PCIe-SATA is often referred to as SATA Express (SATAe), which of course, is an actual standard itself. Which should not be confused with eSATA, which is a different standard, to provide an interface for external SATA devices. While they may be inexpensive, they are inefficient and produce low scores on the performance and compatibility board. Unless you’re on a tight budget, we do not recommend that you add SATA ports to motherboard via these expansion cards.

I have bought the card and measured it. With the multiplier the power consumption is about 6 watts higher than without. That's way to much in my opinion and that confirmed my assumtion. Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- SERR-
It uses only an x1 connecter and conforms to the PCIe v3.0 protocol. Hence, it has a maximum throughput of 985 MB/s– the theoretical max throughput of a single PCIe v3.0 lane. In reality, the throughput rate is lower than this. But for simplicity’s sake, we will take 985 MB/s for this example. You'll need to pay attention to SAS connection type though since there are many. I mostly see SFF-8484, SFF-8482, and SFF-8087 being used for this. Everything I'm linking to here is SFF-8087. If you don't have a SAS port, you can get a PCIe to SAS adapter (supports up to 7 SATA). Although this is an extra piece vs. going directly from PCIe to SATA, it gives you more flexibility. Example of relatively high performance (1.6 GB/s) using this configuration. Supposedly, the speed for the adapter shown below is 715 MB/s Read (Seq,256K,Q10) for 3 drives (1 HDD + 2 SSDs in RAID HyperDuo (Safe Mode), so SSD is primary access). Direct attached to the sata ports or to a M.2 PCIe-to-SATA does all not work. Maybe it would work with some specific M.2 PCIe-to-SATA adapter, but I doubt it. Have only tested with the JMb585.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment